Who likes fried ice cream?
(raises hand) Me!
Today I am sharing one of my favorite desserts that I don’t seem to make often enough. This “better than fried, un-fried ice cream will make an awesome Cinco De Mayo treat, a wonderful Mothers day dessert, or its great in the summer or really any time of the year! If you like fried ice cream then I am almost certain you will love this recipe! I made over 200 servings of this for a banquet that I was in charge of food for. It was such a fancy yet easy dessert that went so well with our taco salad dinner. We received so many positive compliments on the dessert so I know it’s a winner! I haven’t seen this version anywhere online but take my word, its worth a try… I just gobbled down the one pictured above! MmmMmmmm 😉
I love this version of fried ice cream because it is:
super easy to make
prep time is very quick
ingredients are very simple
it offers a perfect flavor combination
there are a variety of topping choices
can be made ahead of time and pulled out when ready to serve
and you will get this!
…that will shortly be this!
See? Even the inside looks good!
So lets get to the recipe. The ingredients are incredibly easy.
Better than Fried, Un-fried Ice cream
- 1 standard 48oz container natural vanilla ice cream (I prefer Breyers)
- cups appx 4-5 crushed Post Honey bunches of oats cereal (I use with almonds)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 TBS cinnamon mixed into sugar
- caramel (chocolate, honey, or strawberry topping)
- whipped cream topping
- cinnamon chip garnish -optional
- cherry garnish -optional
- Have a freezer safe container with a cover ready that will fit 6 1-cup balls in it
- pull ice cream from freezer and get to a soft, easy to scoop texture
- put cinnamon sugar in a bowl (you won’t use all of sugar but need it to roll well)
- put Honey Bunches of oats in a large ziplock bag and crush to fairly small pieces by hand
- One at a time form appx 1 cup ice cream balls, then roll the ball in cinnamon sugar, then put the ball into the cereal mixture and completely coat while pressing the cereal into the ice cream. Place the ball in your freezer ready container and continue to make 5 more the same way.
- Freeze for at least 2-3 hours for best results. May stay in freezer for 1-2 weeks before serving if desired.
- Serve with your favorite topping, whipped cream, and any other garnishes you desire!
Thats it. Awesome, Right?
I personally love it with caramel topping but there are so many other yummy choices. fresh strawberries and strawberry puree or chocolate would also be awesome choices.
If I haven’t convinced you yet, here is one last image to pin!!